Sunday, June 19, 2011

Harvesting the Greens

This week the dehydrator has been busy with greens.  I planted Kale, Swiss and Ruby Red chard, Romaine lettuce, and Leaf lettuce.  I have cut all rows once and my kale and chard are ready to be cut again!  I am dehydrating these and crumbling them up then placing them in a half gallon canning jar. Its almost full already.  It looks like I"ll get two of them full this year. That will be plenty.  I usually take a handful of them and put them in soup or in whatever skillet dish I'm making.  This gives you the greens without really realizing it.  I dried them on a very low temperature for two days to help keep the nutrients in.  Its a great way to plant greens you can eat throughout the season and then save some for winter.  Right now I've gotten everything in my garden except my broccoli.  I dont plan on planting that till end of July or beginning of August.  Right now its harvesting the greens, sugar snap peas, and turnips.  Carrots are coming soon too.  Oh and Blackberries soon too.  Gonna be busy busy busy.  Pardon if I dont blog.  I didnt realize how hard it is to be a mom, harvest/plant/can the garden, go to school, and blog lol.

No comments:

Post a Comment