Saturday, May 14, 2011

First project this year...greenhouse.

So last year I doubled my garden and bought a dehydrator.  This year our plans are to build a greenhouse.  I am taking the summer to do this little by little.  I am using bought lumber, recycled windows, and bought sheets of this plastic paneling you can get at lowes.  Here is our progress so far.  This greenhouse is 12 feet wide x 20 feet long and has a lean-to type roof that is around 12 feet high and slopes down to like 7.  My plan is to actually plant a garden in it over winter for root crops to make more room for my summer plants in my garden itself.  Or if we have a bad year like this year with mega rain, it will be a more stable environment for the plants.  I also am going to build shelves to store garden supplies and do plant garden starts.
This is the north side, at the moment it only has one window but will have maybe one or two more.

This is my south side.  There are 4 windows and then the big space in the middle is for a pop can heater.  I am building a rather large one to hopefully produce enough heat to keep the greenhouse warm enough in jan and feb to grow root crops.  I am going to use a solar panel to run the fans in the pop can heater.  You can see what I'm talking about on youtube videos.

Arent those windows pretty? I wanted them in the house but my husband said they are not going to keep enough cold out for our house but we can use them for our porch/mud room area and so we kept the two better ones.  This is the west wall.  The east wall is part of our lean-to.

No comments:

Post a Comment