Thursday, May 19, 2011

Garden Layout

One of the best ways to be self sufficient and have sustainablity on your property is to plant a garden.  This can be as simple as some patio plants or as major as a super huge yard garden.  Everyone has the ability to plant a garden no matter how small.  We live on an acre of land.  My garden is 40x60 feet.  It is divided in half.  The back half of the garden is 20x40.  Here is what it looks like.  I swap the corn and beans each year.
Nothing else gets planted in here because our main staple of veggies year round is corn and green beans.  The next few pictures are my garden from left to right and what is planted there.
                                         
The wooden gate is made to open and let the chicks out into the main part of the garden.  The OSB boxes are my compost area.  It is long term composting and is divided into 2  4x4 sections.
Here is across the front of my garden.
between the strawberries and the newly planted rhubarb is the dirt area. That has potatoes and cabbage. I forgot to label it.  The black barrels are composting and the poop barrel.  And yes I use that little kids picnic table for my ripening tomatoes lol.
So there is my garden.  I have youtube videos that show how I plant my beans and corn, make my rows and many others. Please check them out. One day I'll post them to the blog.  I use garden rotation.  So all the plants in the first section will go into the last part. I always rotate to the left except for the front part because those are all perennial.  I also have asparagus and dill planted too.

No comments:

Post a Comment