Sunday, May 15, 2011

Sticky Buns

Wow ok so I was online about a week ago trying to figure out why my bread wasnt turning out, and I came upon this youtube site from I think its connieqcooking1 or something close to that.  She made a bread recipe and also turned some of that into sticky buns.  Saturday I decided for breakfast we would have sticky buns. I couldnt look up her recipe for bread because my computer takes like a hundred years to boot up and I know it takes a while to make the bread recipe and then bake it and let it cool.  So I kinda remembered the recipe and grabbed my betty crocker book and made a refridgerator dough recipe. Then applied her sticky bun principles and cooked with my fingers crossed. 

I dont have a picture because they all disappeared! They turned out awesome and my husband loved them so much he gave some to our neighbors.  He doesnt do that often, just on the really awesome stuff, that way they think I am a great cook lol.  Works for me.  So I am going to share my recipe for the sticky buns.  I really like this dough because  you can keep it in the fridge and  use only a little at a time if you need to.  I've made rolls for thanksgiving out of this recipe and they turned out wonderful.

Basic Roll Dough  ( if you want to keep this in fridge, do not let rise, place immediately in the fridge)

1 package of active dry yeast (2 1/4 tsp)
1/4 c warm water
***
1 c milk scalded
1/4 c sugar
1/4 c shortening or vegetable oil
1 tsp salt
3 1/2 c sifted all-purpose flour ( I dont sift)
1 egg

Soften yeast in warm water (110 degrees). Combine milk, sugar, shortening, and salt; cool to lukewarm.  Add 1 1/2 c of flour; beat well. Beat in  yeast and egg. Gradually add remaining flour to form soft dough, beating well. Placed in greased bowl, turning once to grease surface. Cover and let rise until double (1 1/2-2 hours).
Turn out on lightly floured surface and shape as desired. Cover and let shaped rollls rise until double (30-40 min) Bake on greased baking sheet or in greased muffin pans in hot oven(400 degrees) for 12-15 minutes.

There is my recipe for the dinner rolls I made.  My changes for sticky buns were that first who has time to sift the flour?? lol.  I just dumped it in.  I did knead my dough and then rolled it out flat into a rectangle about 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick and it turned out to be about 9 x 14 or so.  Then I got about 3/4 stick of butter and cut off a couple of TBS's and smeared it onto the dough to cover the entire thing.  I got a 17 x 11 1/2 x 2 1/4 inch pan. Then I melted the butter in the microwave and placed it in the bottom of the pan.  I then got about 1 1/2 c of brown sugar. I took about a handful and spread it on top of the buttered dough, then placed the rest in the pan with the butter.  Next, I took cinnamon and sprinkled it on top the dough also and rolled the dough long wise.  You sorta have to roll and tuck to keep it tight and the air out.  Once it is rolled up you sorta pinch the ends to it makes one solid roll and doesnt unroll.  The pan now has the brown sugar and butter and then you add enough corn syrup to be able to mix all of it together and have the bottom coated.  I used about a cup or so of syrup and then ran out so I used pancake syrup.  Yu want the stuff on the bottom of the pan to look like sandy goo and make sure it covers the entire bottom.  Then I sprayed the sides with pam.  I cut the dough into pieces and placed them in the pan.  Be sure to leave room so they can double in size. Place in a warm area and cover with a damp towel and let rise for at least 30 min.  When mine were done rising it looked kinda like they didnt rise. There was still room on the sides a little but when I baked them they did spread out and get all buffy and yummy.  I baked mine at 350 degrees for about 35 minutes or until the tops were golden brown.  You need to invert these when you serve them and if you have extras you need to remove them from the pan before they cool completely and flip them over.  The sticky part gets very crystalized when it cools and makes pan removal close to impossible.  You lose your sticky part.  But like I said, didnt really have this problem because they disappeared rather quickly.  I hope they turn out for you and the next time I make them I will post pictures as I do it so you can see what it should look like.   Tomorrow I am making bread again and will post that recipe link.  I also obtained an older pasta maker so I am going to try that out while I'm playing with flour.

Here is the lady making bread, rolls, and sticky buns. Her batch will be too large if you make it all sticky buns but you can see what I'm talking about. The sticky bun video is actually part 3.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGPhlfn-Lww&feature=related

No comments:

Post a Comment